Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Post: Reddit Facebook
What parental control software do you use to protect your kids?
What parental control software do you use to protect your kids?

I tried a few on Windows, not on Android, and use Kaspersky Safe Kids for the following reasons:

1. KSK is excellent at blocking websites as per categories with no noticeable slowdown.
2. KSK has strong safe-search protection. It blocks inappropriate content (search for p*rn, s*x, etc.) on the supported search engines and YouTube, along with enforcing the safe search of the supported search engines and the restricted mode of YouTube.
3. KSK provides solid overall protection. Its protection or blocking works with the incognito or private window of the supported browsers as well as with a VPN connected.
4. The KSK features I use work well.
5. KSK is reasonably priced, plus one user account supports all your devices.

I also use the free Control D Family Friendly DNS. It is one of the few DNS services that enforces the "strict" restricted mode of YouTube. Most of the DNS services enforce the "moderate" restricted mode of YouTube with their DNS for family.
Thanks for the useful post, can you please add a poll or list of these software choices to read and try
I tried a few, so a poll won't be useful. And I tried a long time ago and don't remember all the details now. I have been using Kaspersky Safe Kids for over a year now.

I tried Kaspersky, F-Secure, and ESET. These are reputed vendors, and their security software includes parental control. Among the standalone programs, I tried Qustodio and Wondershare FamiSafe.

What I remember from my trials and testing is (if I remember well):
Qustodia had intermittent slowdowns and freezes while browsing. It was costly, too.
FamiSafe's price was too high for parental control. Its blocking of websites was decent.
ESET's parental control had no web portal. Monitoring required the use of their mobile app.
F-Secure was strong at blocking websites. Its web portal was not very useful.

Kaspersky Safe Kids was the winner for me. It provided effective website blocking. Its safe-search feature was another plus, along with an affordable price for unlimited devices.

KSK and Qustodio provided quality parental control features. I chose KSK because of its overall protection, price, and stability.

I already had Kaspersky Internet Security on the kids' systems. KSK was the better companion between KSK and Qustodio because of the stated points and also because it's from the same vendor—a near-zero chance of compatibility or conflicting issues.