Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Post: Reddit Facebook
No, Anne Boleyn Was Not Black.
https://medium.com/history-of-women/no-a...4d8a325773    No, Anne Boleyn Was Not Black.
If whitewashing is okay, so is black Anne Boleyn, but I wish they’d ordered her necklace off Amazon
Linda Caroll
Apr 8, 2021 · 7 min read

Whitewashing has always been a thing in Hollywood. If you didn’t know, it means “to alter in a way that favors, features, or caters to white people: such as … casting a white performer in a role based on a nonwhite person or fictional character”
Like when Mickey Rooney played Mr. Yunioshi in Breakfast At Tiffany’s.    Or when Angelina Jolie played Marianne Pearl in the biopic A Mighty Heart.  Pearl was the wife of slain Wall Street Journal reporter Daniel Pearl. One look tells you she’s not white. But they whitewashed her. For the movie.
There’s tons of more examples.
Julia Robertson as Harriet Tubman?
Emma Stone as Allison Ng?
Anthony Hopkins playing a black man?
Ben Affleck playing a Hispanic man?
Google “whitewashing.” You can read all day.
Hollywood has been doing it forever. Apparently, white people like seeing white faces in movies. Hollywood likes when the heroes are white and the women are lovely and in a “supporting” role to a white, male lead.
So they cast a black woman to play Anne Boleyn.
Anne Boleyn was beheaded so King Henry VIII could marry Jane Seymour in his obsessed quest for a male heir.
Jodie Turner-Smith is beautiful. Being a black woman in a white world, I’m sure she can relate to being cast aside, diminished and discriminated against for no reason of her own doing. Pretty much like Anne Boleyn was.
So Turner-Smith was cast as Boleyn in a 3–part drama called Anne Boleyn
Now people are losing their minds, with about as much reason as Anne lost her head. Which is to say no reason. There was no reason for heads to roll then, and there’s no reason for anyone to lose their head (or their mind) now.
Some people are really angry that a black woman was cast as Anne Boleyn. I wonder if they were as angry about whitewashing, but probably not. They never really are, are they?
But then there’s the other people. The ones who think Anne Boleyn was black now. Because, you know. If you see it on tv or in the movies, it must be true.
“Why does Meghan think she was discriminated against for being black when Anne Boleyn was black?”
That’s a real question people are asking.
Sigh. You can’t make this stuff up. Sometimes I hate humans. One Google search. That’s all it would take. Wikipedia pops right up, I promise.
Anne Boleyn was not black. It was a casting choice.
Here. Look at her parents. And grandparents.