Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Post: Reddit Facebook
System Restore Point Creator 3.6.Build 1 + Portable
January 1, 2017 -- Version 5.6 Build 1
HAPPY NEW YEAR! HAPPY 2017!

This version includes a number of fixes and improvements to the program.

* Included code to handle an IOException if the application settings file is locked by another process. Thanks goes out to Brad Pospisal for reporting this issue to me.
* Added two new command line switches, "-deleteoldrestorepoints" and "-keepxnumberofrestorepoints". Details about how to use these commands are in the About, Command Line Switches.
* Included a work around for a situation in which System Restore may return error 1058. The work around sets the reserved space to 20 GBs, enables System Restore, and attempts to create the restore point again.
* Added handling of IO.FileLoadException to the function that initiates a system restore to a previous restore point.
* Included a new handler to log IO.FileLoadException since this exception type requires more logging specific to this exception type.
* Clarified some things on the Confirm Restore Point Deletion window.
* Put additional checks into the Manage System Restore Storage Space tool.
* Moved the code that's used to document how many restore points will be deleted by the "-keepxnumberofrestorepoints" command line argument to another part of the program's code.
* Added an additional call to the function that documents current restore points to the Application Event Log before the call of the function that deletes an X number of restore points to document how many system restore points the system had before and after the deletion routine.
* Fixed an issue in which the scrolling of the textbox on the Update Notification window doesn't disable the update countdown if the user uses a touchscreen to scroll it.
* Added better handling of HTTP Protocol Errors such as 500 and 404 errors.
* Updated HTTPHelper class to version 1.225.
* Implemented a fix to a program crash in the Task Scheduler tool that could occur if the Task Scheduler library returns an invalid task start time.
January 15, 2017 -- Version 5.7 Build 1

* Fixed an issue in which the scrolling of the textbox on the Update Notification window doesn't disable the update countdown if the user uses a touchscreen to scroll it.
* Added additional handling of several common HTTP error codes.
* Fixed an issue on the Mount Shadow Copy Tool in which the Mount button wasn't disabled when a user clicked outside of the column in the list. Clicking on the Mount button would then result in an ArgumentOutOfRangeException exception. Thanks goes out to Nick Zdenkovic for reporting this issue to me.
* Put in a question asking the user if the user wants to repair the system if error code 1058 is returned by the system restore point API.
* Put in a question asking the user if System Restore Point Creator should attempt to repair System Restore.
* Includes some changes to the some of the VSS related code.
* Added a new app setting, Confirm Smaller Restore Point Space Setting; this is used by the Manage System Restore Storage Space window.
* Fixed a bug in which the program was giving an error about the new size being smaller than the old size for setting the restore point space even though it was wrong. This was caused by a logic error in the code. Thanks goes out to Mark Bitter for reporting this issue to me.
* Added the ability to turn off that confirmation via a checkbox on the window if you so chose to do so.
* Added several new handlers for various exceptions to improve program crash reporting.
* Updated HTTPHelper class to version 1.240.
* Added full custom proxy support to the program, these changes camr about because of additions to the HTTPHelper class.
* Added the ability to convert many integer error codes into hex strings for crash reports and error logging.
* Added the ability to check for updates immediately after changing the software update channel. This removes an added step when changing update channels, namely the fact that you had to manually check for updates.
January 30, 2017 -- Version 5.8 Build 2
Minor changes were applied after the Build 1 compile.

January 30, 2017 -- Version 5.8 Build 1

* Updated the HTTPHelper to version 1.245 which includes some changes to how it gets the system proxy configuration.
* Put in a fix for an issue in which the Reserved System Restore Space for System Drive window locks the program up. Thanks goes out to "nextgraf" for reporting this issue to me.
* Included some internal "behind the scenes" code changes.
* Moved the SSL image to the left side of the Update Message window.
* Included completely new update checking code based upon an XML document that's on my web site. Being that it's XML it's far easier to parse than the convoluted code that I had before. It requires far less code and is simpler to debug.
February 1, 2017 -- Version 5.8 Build 3
This is an emergency update. Fixed an issue in which the update code may not run in specific circumstances. Thanks goes out to Charles Ray for helping me get to the bottom of the issue.
February 13, 2017 -- Version 5.9 Build 1
Because this month, February, is a 28 day month it kind of messes up the whole 15-day release cycle of the program. Oh well, such is life. Anyways, onto the number of fixes and improvements to the program.
  • Fixed an issue on the main form when loading that could cause the program to lock up due to the Please Wait window being tied to the main thread of the main form.
  • Fixed a false positive in the program when there are no restore points on the system in which the program asks to repair System Restore even though it doesn't need to be done. Thanks goes out to Charles Ray for reporting this issue to me.
  • Added additional logging to the application update procedure to catch possible errors.
  • Fixed the wording on the Update Notification text at the top when the update is a standard update but the text indicated that it was a Public Beta, this is wrong. This has been corrected.
  • Implemented a whole new exported log file type. The new file type is based upon XML instead of a custom-formatted file type. The new file type is reslogx.
  • Included some changes to some of the code that deals with the Event Log.
  • Added four new functions to set values in the Registry for behind the scenes access to the Registry.
  • Updated the update checking code to first download the release version when a new release version has been released when the user is the public beta branch. Before it would automatically skip to the next beta branch version. This was incorrect behavior. The newest release branch version should always be the version that's downloaded when a new branch version is released. If this situation occurs, the program sets a value in the Registry to trigger an update check the next time the program runs to check for any new public beta branch versions.
February 28, 2017 -- Version 6.0 Build 1
Because this month, February, is a 28 day month it kind of messes up the whole 15-day release cycle of the program. Oh well, such is life. Anyways, onto the number of fixes and improvements to the program.
  • Updated the HTTPHelper to version 1.266. This includes multiple fixes, improvements, and additions to the class library that handles all of the program's various HTTP requests.
  • Included a new settings backup file type that's based upon XML.
  • Renamed "Reboot System" to "Reboot Computer" in the Utilities menu.
  • Added a Manual System Restore Fix tool to the Utilities menu.
  • Added a message box to the restore point creation routine telling the user what to do if the program determined that doing an auto-fix to System Restore could have unintended side-effects.
  • Included code in the downloadAndDoTheUpdate() function to detect if the user is on the beta update channel and if the update channel has been overridden to stable channel. If this occurs then the debug build is downloaded instead of the standard release (non-debug) build. This situation that could occur if updating from a beta/RC build to the next release build but there's no new beta/RC build after it, this is to make sure that if you are on the beta channel you get a debug build instead.
  • Added an Advanced Mode for the Manage System Restore Storage Space tool. This has been added back due to a user's request.
  • Included renaming of multiple internal variable names.
  • Added a custom exception to handle certain types of errors in the program, specifically when trying to parse Strings into Integers.
  • Fixed a possible bug in which a crash could occur if there are duplicate system restore point IDs when selecting restore points to be deleted. This is strange because it really shouldn't be happening, this fix should fix the issue. Thanks goes out to "George" and "Harry" (you know who you are) for reporting this issue to me.
  • Added handling of the custom exception to the extended exception data logging function.
  • Added error logging for errors while parsing system restore point ID strings into Integers.
  • Fixed an issue in the update routine in which the Please Wait window obscures the message box telling you that a system reboot is needed to complete the update if something went wrong during the update procedure. This issue was fixed by closing the Please Wait window before showing the message box.
  • Fixed an issue in which the uninstall info's DisplayIcon wasn't being set properly which resulted in a blank/broken icon in Windows Programs and Features.
  • Minor code cleanups.
There will be no new release on March 15th, I will be far too busy during the first half of March to deal with the program's code. I will however make every effort to make time for any support requests. The Public Beta window will start again after March 15th.
May 2, 2017 -- Version 6.2 Build 2
I recompiled the program's main executable without the executable packing program that I was using to reduce the size of the program's executable file and also guard it against decompilers to protect my intellectual property. I was using a tool called "mpress" which can be found at http://www.matcode.com/mpress.htm but it appears to be triggering a lot of antivirus vendors to detect it as a virus. I have recompiled the program and redistributed it without compressing it. I have uploaded the main program's executable file to VirusTotal which is web site that scans a file with multiple antivirus programs and all but two vendors are showing that it's clean as proof that the new file is clean. You can view the analysis at https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/3b05f...c/analysis

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wise Registry Cleaner 11.1.1 Build 715 & Portable Released mrtrout 0 503 09-01-2023 , 06:21 AM
Last Post: mrtrout
  Privacy Eraser Free 5.39.0 Build 4541 & Portable Privacy Eraser Free 5.39.0 Build mrtrout 0 382 07-16-2023 , 07:06 PM
  AIMP 5.11 Build 2432 & Portable AIMP 5.11 Build 2432 Released mrtrout 0 283 06-09-2023 , 10:13 PM
  Privacy Eraser Free 5.35.0 Build 4462 & Portable Privacy Eraser Free 5.35.0 Build 4 mrtrout 0 600 03-12-2023 , 06:10 PM
  AIMP 5.03 Build 2394 FREEWARE & Portable AIMP 5.03 Build 2394 FREEWARE mrtrout 0 384 06-30-2022 , 10:09 PM