Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Post: Reddit Facebook
7 New Netflix Shows in July 2020
Quote:Netflix offers an array of genres this July, from a kids show good enough for adults to the summer's biggest sports doc.

1. “The Baby-Sitters Club” Season 1 (available now)

[Image: e8avIcN.jpg]

Why Should I Watch? Netflix’s adaptation of Ann M. Martin’s ’90s era novels have been wooing plenty of viewers well-outside its young adult demographic — this critic included — without abandoning its most important fanbase. “The Baby-Sitters Club” is a rich, warm-hearted story about a group of middle-schoolers who band together, not only to make a little extra money and give themselves an excuse to hang out, but to provide a much-needed service for parents; the titular baby-sitters have an earnest yet relaxed investment in the kids they care for, and that same casually compassionate attitude buoys the series itself to lovable heights. Adult viewers may come for a pastel-dipped piece of nostalgia, but they — and younger audiences — will stick around for a savvy, inclusive, and rewarding update on “BSC.”

2. “Kingdom” Seasons 1 – 3 (available now)

Why Should I Watch? Long held up as one of the best shows you’re not watching (likely because you were unable to see it without a DirecTV subscription), Byron Balasco’s MMA family drama is finally readily available to stream. “Kingdom” focuses on the Kulina family, led by retired fighter Alvey (Frank Grillo) who opens up a Venice Beach gym with his girlfriend Lisa (Kiele Sanchez) to train future mixed martial artists — including his two sons, Jay (Jonathan Tucker) and Nate (Nick Jonas), both of whom are ranked professionals. But for all the pain inflicted inside the ring, the three-season series is really about recovery. Jay and his mother, Christina (Joanna Going), are addicts; Alvey struggles to face his life without the outlet of fighting; and when Ryan Wheeler (Matt Lauria) shows up — an ex-fighter looking for a second chance, Lisa’s ex-boyfriend, and an ex-con who just got out of prison — the group must learn to separate healthy outlets from harmful addictions if they’ll ever be able to find the peace and happiness every family craves. Shot in a gritty and grounded style not far removed from the handheld look of “Friday Night Lights,” “Kingdom” has a bit of a darker vision, but knows the value of a full heart.

3. “Stateless” (available July 8)

Why Should I Watch? Did you know Cate Blanchett co-created a television show? Did you know it was this one? Well, now you do, and now you know literally everything you need to know in order to click “play” come July 8. I mean, Cate Blanchett also co-stars so if you’re using the old metric for choosing what to watch then you’re doubly invested. I know I am. Can’t wait.

4. “The Last Dance” (available July 19)

Why Should I Watch? Do you think LeBron James is the greatest basketball player of all-time? Do you think LeBron James is the second greatest basketball player of all-time? Do you think basketball peaked with the Warriors vs. Cavs quartet of NBA Finals match-ups? If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, then clearly you need a history lesson. “The Last Dance” may not cover more than the Jordan era, but that’s more than enough to disprove beliefs No. 1 and 3. (Michael Jordan is the GOAT and the Bulls era is definitely one of basketball’s best time periods, but you’ll have to look up Bill Russell, Wilt Chamberlain, and Kareem Abdul Jabbar to discover who’s the second best baller.) So, if you’ve resisted watching thus far, dig in. You’ve got a lot to learn.

5. “Cursed” Season 1 (available July 17)

Why Should I Watch? If you’re in need of a post-“Witcher” fantasy fix, “Cursed” looks like your best bet. Based on the recently released book (written by Thomas Wheeler and illustrated by Frank Miller), “Cursed” reimagines the legend of King Arthur by asking, “What if the sword chose a queen?” So, rather than a young Arthur pulling the kingmaker from the stone, the 10-episode first season posits that perhaps Nimue (“13 Reasons Why” alum Katherine Langford), a “teenage heroine with a mysterious gift,” has the right to wield Excalibur. Though she’s supposedly destined to become the Lady of the Lake, Nimue embarks on a quest to find Merlin alongside a teen Arthur, as the two heroes fight back the Red Paladins and their evil King. Arthurian legend may not share the same eccentric creativity as Henry Cavill’s popular Netflix adaptation, but springing out of a lake, fully clothed, sword in hand, may very well be the new “soaking in a bathtub, naked.”

6. “Down to Earth with Zac Efron” Season 1 (available July 10)

Why Should I Watch? Yes, this is the show that’s already given us the gift of “Zac Efron Looks at Beehive, Discovers the Deep Abyss of Life Itself” — and while that may seem like more than anyone could’ve ever asked for, there are probably many more meme-able moments in wait! Officially described as “a travel show [in which] actor Zac Efron journeys around the world with wellness expert Darin Olien in search of healthy, sustainable ways to live,” “Down to Earth With Zac Efron” sees the “Greatest Showman” co-star wielding swords, eating carbs, and staring in stupefied awe at a “fart bag” the size of a 747. We are all Zac Efron in that moment, even if none of us can be Zac Efron in any other. Tracking down more zen-like surreality like this should be reason enough to try an episode or two, but if not…

7. “The Umbrella Academy” Season 2 (available July 31)

Why Should I Watch? In all likelihood, there will be no superheroes at the summer box office (because there will be no summer box office), so if another MCU marathon isn’t gonna get you that spandex-driven dopamine high your body craves, “The Umbrella Academy” might steady your nerves until theaters open back up. Based on the comic book series by Gerard Way and Gabriel Bá, the first season of Netflix’s hourlong action series put a dysfunctional family of adopted siblings back together. Plucked from their birth parents by an eccentric billionaire who believed he could grow a superhero ensemble to save the world, each numbered adoptee has their own special power and their own associated problems that eventually drove them apart. Season 2 picks up after No. 5 used his time-traveling ability to avert a modern-day apocalypse, but doing so also sent his siblings to different time periods circa 1960s Dallas, TX. There, they have to find each other, save the world from nuclear disaster, and get back to 2019 in order to prevent another global catastrophe. (No, sadly, it’s not the pandemic.) With “Terminator”-esque time-hopping and impending judgement days, “The Umbrella Academy” doesn’t sound like it will be boring, which is really all you can ever ask of a mass market superhero story. Get your fix!

More info HERE

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Netflix with ads launches Nov. 3, will be missing up to 10% of Netflix catalog mrtrout 0 943 10-14-2022 , 02:10 AM
Last Post: mrtrout
Video Sand Castle | Clip: "School Help" | Netflix Netflix US & Canada baziroll 1 2,746 04-22-2017 , 11:12 PM
Last Post: Mike
  Disjointed | Date Announcement [HD] | Netflix Netflix US & Canada baziroll 0 2,156 04-22-2017 , 11:09 PM
Last Post: baziroll