Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Post: Reddit Facebook
Why you can’t trust Google Maps
Quote:A few months ago, Google was caught red-handed. They had told their users that they have full control of their location history and can ‘edit, delete or turn it off at any time.’ But Google forgot to mention that they still use other means to keep track of users’ locations.

Turning off your location data only stops Google from creating a timeline of where you’ve been throughout the day. However, if you don’t turn off another feature called Web & App activity, which is hidden in your settings, your location can still be tracked.

Every time you open Google Maps, search for something via Google Search, or just use any other Google app, they will send timestamps back to Google and will create an accurate image of where you’ve been. You can find and manually delete these records by going to the My Activity page. (Click on ‘Delete activity by’ and choose ‘All time’ from the drop down menu.)

This data is then combined with your existing user profile and used to serve you targeted ads. This type of data is extremely valuable to to Google, so it’s no surprise that they kept a few secrets to keep doing what they do best.

Source

I never realized Google Maps followed my every move until I read this story on the NordVPN blog and checked My Activity page. Very interesting read and there are apps out there that give you the freedom to minimize data collection rather collecting it behind your back.
Mike,
Get used with it: every free service turns out to be more expensive than a paid one. 
I recently read that even twitter stores your private deleted PMs and they can be retrieved in case of archive download.
Big Grin

Nothing is free.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you trust the mainstream media? Mike 9 4,114 08-30-2021 , 05:11 AM
Last Post: divinenews