Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Post: Reddit Facebook
Cydia Store Shuts Down as the Days of iPhone Jailbreaks Are Numbered
https://news.softpedia.com/news/cydia-st...4300.shtml        Cydia Store Shuts Down as the Days of iPhone Jailbreaks Are Numbered

Largest app store for jailbreakers goes dark officially       Dec 17, 2018 09:04 GMT  ·  By Bogdan Popa      Jailbreaking an iPhone isn’t something as common as it was a few years ago, and it’s all due to the fact that software to unlock devices is no longer posted publicly.

Most jailbreaks discovered recently have been disclosed directly to Apple, which fixes them in the latest iOS updates, so the number of unlocked iPhones has declined substantially lately.

As a result, the jailbreaking community is slowly but surely going dark too, and the past weekend, another major milestone was reached.

The Cydia Store, which was the largest in the jailbreak community, was shut down officially. While this was originally expected to happen by the end of the year, the creator of the store explains that a recently-discovered vulnerability was reason enough to pull the Cydia Store offline once and for all.

Remove PayPal info from Cydia accounts
“The reality is that I wanted to just shut down the Cydia Store entirely before the end of the year, and was considering moving the timetable up after receiving the report (to this weekend).

This service loses me money and is not something I have any passion to maintain: it was a critical component of a healthy ecosystem, and for a while it helped fund a small staff of people to maintain the ecosystem, but it came at great cost to my sanity and led lots of people to irrationally hate me due to what amounted to a purposeful misunderstanding of how profit vs. revenue works,” Jay Saurik explained on reddit.

Certainly, Cydia was an essential part of the jailbreaking community, and the app store going dark is living proof that the days of jailbreaking on iPhones are numbered.

As for the security vulnerability discovered in Cydia, it may expose certain data of users who are logged in. Users have been recommended to remove their PayPal information from the Cydia accounts.