Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Post: Reddit Facebook
Full Metal Jacket drill sergeant R Lee Ermey dies aged 74
http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-43779357    Full Metal Jacket drill sergeant R Lee Ermey dies aged 74
2 hours ago
Share this with Facebook Share this with Twitter Share this with Messenger Share this with Email Share
Image copyrightGETTY IMAGES
Actor R Lee Ermey, known for his role as foul-mouthed Gunnery Sergeant Hartman in Vietnam War film Full Metal Jacket, has died aged 74.

The former US Marine Corps soldier turned award-winning actor played a host of military men during his career.

Ermey's manager, posting to the actor's Twitter account, said he died from "complications of pneumonia".

"He will be greatly missed by all of us," the message read. "Semper Fi, Gunny. Godspeed."

Born in 1944 in Kansas, Ermey was a staff sergeant in the marine corps in the 1960s and early 1970s, serving tours in Japan and Vietnam. He also served as a real-life drill sergeant.

Ermey later drew on his military experience for his breakout role in Stanley Kubrick's 1987 film Full Metal Jacket, winning a Golden Globe nomination for his portrayal of a hardened drill instructor putting young Marine Corps recruits through basic training.

One popular story about Ermey is that he was initially hired as a technical advisor, but Kubrick was so impressed with his demonstration of a drill sergeant's role that he was offered the part.

'Hell-raiser'
In a 2010 interview with the Civilian Marksmanship Programme magazine, Ermey recalled being a "troublemaker and a bit of a hell-raiser" in his youth - eventually ending up in court.

"Basically a silver-haired judge... gave me a choice. He said I could either go into the military - any branch I wanted to go to - or he was going to send me where the sun never shines," he told the magazine.

"And I love sunshine, I don't know about you."

Skip Twitter post by @RLeeErmey
Statement from R. Lee Ermey's long time manager, Bill Rogin:

It is with deep sadness that I regret to inform you all that R. Lee Ermey ("The Gunny") passed away this morning from complications of pneumonia. He will be greatly missed by all of us.

Semper Fi, Gunny. Godspeed. pic.twitter.com/vf4O78JKmb

— R. Lee Ermey (@RLeeErmey) April 15, 2018
End of Twitter post by @RLeeErmey
Ermey also lent his distinctive voice to animated characters, such as the plastic toy soldier in Pixar's Toy Story films, and played many military and police roles on television.

He was a board member of powerful US gun lobby group the National Rifle Association.

In a post on Facebook - since made inaccessible - his manager Bill Rogin said: "It is extremely difficult to truly quantify all of the great things this man has selflessly done for, and on behalf of, our many men and women in uniform.

"Gunnery Sergeant Hartman of Full Metal Jacket fame was a hard and principled man," he wrote. "The real R Lee Ermey was a family man, and a kind and gentle soul."

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Black Panther actor Chadwick Boseman dies aged 43 mrtrout 0 1,147 08-29-2020 , 07:43 AM
Last Post: mrtrout
  Cranberries singer Dolores O'Riordan dies suddenly aged 46 mrtrout 0 2,443 01-16-2018 , 12:56 AM
  'Oldest human' dies in Indonesia 'aged 146' mrtrout 0 1,883 05-02-2017 , 06:45 PM
  Internet, computer pioneer Robert W Taylor dies aged 85 mrtrout 0 1,766 04-16-2017 , 09:24 PM
  Carrie Fisher, Star Wars actress, dies aged 60 mrtrout 0 2,090 12-27-2016 , 07:21 PM