Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Post: Reddit Facebook
April Fools' Day: Google Removes "Mic Drop" Button from Gmail After Backlash
Some users pushed button accidentally, lost potential jobs

You don't hear this very often, but Google's April Fools' Day joke wasn't funny at all this year, ending up confusing users, some of which even complained about losing jobs because of it.

Yesterday, as the first countries around the globe were entering the month of April, Google announced a new feature in Gmail called "Mic Drop," an obvious April Fools' Day prank.

Gmail's Mic Drop was also shutting down conversations

As the company describes it, Mic Drop is was a new button added to Gmail's email composer. This new orange button, when pressed, would insert a GIF showing one of the Minions characters dropping a mic at the end of each email.

If Google stopped here, it would have probably been funny for some people. But Google didn't. In fact, pressing the Mic Drop button would also mute the conversation, so the sender would stop receiving any replies in that email thread.

As soon as the feature went live, people immediately started complaining about it on Google's product forums, some of which were saying that they've accidentally clicked the orange button instead of the green one, and now they've been locked out of work conversations, and even new job opportunities.

Some users lost job opportunities

"So I've been going back with a potential employer all week and last night sent a critical follow up email and accidentally clicked 'Send + Mic Drop'," one user wrote. "Not only am I mortified of the mistake, but this could potentially cost me my dream job. [...] This was a horrible, horrible idea with potentially irreparable damages for me. [sic]"

Another user also writes: "I just sent off an email with my resume to the first person who wanted to interview me in months. I clicked the wrong button and sent it with the mic drop. Well, I guess I'm not getting that job. Words cannot describe how [expletive] off I am right now.  I'm actually shaking. One click, ONE CLICK and I lost the job.  [expletive]. Not funny, google. I'm going to go cry now. [sic]"

Even worse, some users also reported that the Mic Drop GIF also showed up when pressing the normal Send button, but not in all cases.
That surely didn't go as well as Google planned, but to the company's credit, they took the criticism on the chin, and immediately pulled the button before it could do any other damage.

[Image: ALx0H05.png]

Source

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HTC 10 vs. Galaxy S7 Drop Test! tarekma7 0 1,943 05-15-2016 , 08:37 PM
Last Post: tarekma7