Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Post: Reddit Facebook
The Beginner’s Guide to VPNs 2021
Welcome to a comprehensive guide explaining everything you need to know about a VPN (or “virtual private network”). Because security and privacy are so important, a VPN is all but required these days if you use the internet. It’s even more important if you connect in a public place like a coffee shop or library.

Table of Contents

How Does a VPN Work?
Why Do I Need a VPN?
Which Features Should I Consider?
Which Security Protocols Are Supported?
Why Does the Number of Servers Matter?
Why Does the Number of Countries Matter?
Do VPNs Slow My Speed?
Can I Access My VPN on Multiple Devices?
Does a VPN Work on My Phone or Tablet?
Does a VPN Work on My Game Console?

What is a VPN and how does it work?

A virtual private network (VPN) works by creating a tunnel between your computer and a secure server, usually one that is close to you. For example, if you are using a laptop and enable a VPN, it might connect to a server in Chicago. All of your internet activity is encrypted through the tunnel to and from that server. You can stream files, make back-ups to the cloud, access websites, download movies, and play games knowing your internet activity is safe.

A VPN is essential. Especially in an age of criminal hacking, invasion of privacy, and tracking what you do online—we can’t emphasize it enough: with a VPN, you are protected, and without one, you are taking greater risks online.

A VPN is an app you install on your phone and a client you use on a laptop or desktop. It protects your internet connection by adding encryption on the fly. If you visit a website that is not secure, your own internet feed will stay protected because of the VPN. On a public wireless network, for example, a hacker would not be able to tap into your computer and steal your credit card and other data.

Why do I need a VPN?

The decision about using a VPN is really based on your own threshold for exposing personal data, financial information, and web surfing preferences. Without a VPN, you are revealing your location and which websites you visit to advertisers, the website owners, and even government agencies (not to mention hackers).

If you use a VPN, you obscure your personal information. When you transmit a credit card number, date of birth, and your address to register for a new app, for example, the VPN encrypts that data and makes it secure so it can’t be hacked.

However, a VPN protects the actual connection, and that is the most typical attack vector for hacking. The VPN works in the background at all times, making sure your data is not compromised and protecting your identity and anonymity at all times.

Which features should I consider?

You might think of a VPN as merely a way to protect your internet connection, and that is mostly what they do. At the end of the day, a VPN is making sure you are secure, anonymous, and private when you surf and when you hand over personal data like a credit card. The VPN creates a tunnel between you and a remote server.

However, when you do register for a VPN service and start using one, you will notice there are plenty of extra features. For example, several VPN providers include a free ad blocker as part of the total package. In a few cases, there is also a malware blocker. This protects you from downloading a malware client by accident, which can infect your computer. Some additional features to consider include the number of countries and servers, how many devices you can use it on, bandwidth restrictions, and interface.

Some of the most popular VPN clients go even further. Hotspot Shield includes access to 1Password for free (it’s a password management app). TunnelBear has a unique feature that tricks any website into thinking you are not using a VPN.

Which security protocols are supported?

Most of us use a VPN because of the extra security. Every VPN adds encryption to the connection that helps protect you from hacking and also ensures more privacy and anonymity when you surf. However, many VPN providers let you select which security protocol you want to use for the connection.

A good VPN allows flexibility because you can enable the protocol you want, run a speed test, and choose if you want to use a different protocol. The difference is that some tend to be a bit faster but not as secure, and some are slower but add more protection.

Continue reading this guide HERE

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Best VPNs for China in 2021 Sasha 4 2,459 06-17-2021 , 12:58 PM
Last Post: RossBolton22
  How to Use a VPN in 2021: A Beginner’s Guide Raymond Martin 0 981 01-06-2021 , 11:12 AM
Last Post: Raymond Martin
  Home office guide: Which VPNs are the best? sidemoon 0 1,337 04-07-2020 , 10:05 PM
Last Post: sidemoon
  What is a VPN and how does it work? A Non-Technical Beginner's Guide to VPN's sidemoon 0 1,930 02-01-2020 , 06:30 PM
Last Post: sidemoon
  [Norton]Are free VPNs safe? 7 things to know before using free VPNs Sasha 0 1,645 01-20-2020 , 06:44 PM
Last Post: Sasha