Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Post: Reddit Facebook
Which CPU Should You Buy? Intel Core i5 vs. i7
[Image: 1KJSi56.jpg]

Quote:Shopping for a laptop or desktop? Figuring out which CPU it should have can be the hardest part. Let's take a look at two of Intel's most popular processor lines and unravel the differences.

For many consumers on the hunt for a new desktop or laptop PC, one of the biggest considerations is the type of processor the system should have. Two of the CPU families most often in contention in mainstream systems are the Intel Core i5 and the Intel Core i7. And that makes picking tricky, because the two lines have a lot in common.

The differences among Intel's key processor families are clearer when you're looking at the Core i3 (found mainly in budget systems) or the Core i9 (powerful CPUs for content-creation and other high-performance scenarios). The differences between the Core i5 and the Core i7 can seem subtle and more nuanced, especially when the prices for a Core i5 versus a Core i7 PC sometimes can be so close.

There isn't always a clear-cut, definitive answer to which is better in a given situation, and often, it just comes down to your budget. But knowing the essentials about each can help you make a smarter choice. Let's get into the key differences between the Core i5 and the Core i7. (Also check out our Core i7 vs. Core i9 explainer.)

How Many Cores Is Enough?

Simply put, a Core i5-equipped system will be less expensive than a Core i7-equipped PC, if all else is equal. But in most cases, if you're comparing apples to apples (that is, a desktop chip to a desktop chip, or a laptop chip to a laptop chip, and the same generation to the same generation), the Core i5 will have fewer, or dialed-down, capabilities. A Core i7 will typically be better for multitasking, media-editing and media-creation tasks, high-end gaming, and similar demanding workloads. Often, though, the price difference will be small, so it's worth playing around with the online configurator of whatever PC you're buying to see if you can afford a Core i7-powered machine.

When you're using software that can leverage as many cores as it can get (modern content-creation programs, like the ones in the Adobe Creative Suite, are excellent examples), the more cores you have in your CPU, the faster it will perform.

Most of the latest Intel Core i5 and Core i7 CPUs have four or more cores, which is what we consider the sweet spot for most mainstream users. Many late-model desktop Core i5 and Core i7 chips have six cores, and a few ultra-high-end gaming PCs come with eight-core Core i7s. Meanwhile, a few ultra-low-power laptop Core i5 and Core i7 CPUs have just two. You'll find these mainly in ultra-thin laptops.

The same rough Core nomenclature has been used for quite a few generations of Intel CPUs now. To make sure you're buying a system with a recent-generation processor, look for the Core ix-11xxx or Core ix-10xxx naming structure. Some CPUs designed for thin or mainstream laptops have a "U" or a "Y" appended to the end of the model name, while others have a "G" followed by a number that denotes the capabilities of the chip's graphics processing. Chips meant for power laptops tend to end in "H" or "HK"; and those intended for desktops have a "K" or a "T" at the end (or just end in a zero).

Unless you're shopping the used-PC market, you'll find Core i5 and i7 chips of the 8th and 9th Generation (or older) in end-of-life/closeout systems and some budget PCs, while you'll find 10th and 11th Generation chips in most new models. The rough guide, if you don't want to get in too deep: To get better performance within each generation and within each class (Core i5 or Core i7), buy a processor with a higher model number. For instance, an Intel Core i7-1065G7 generally has better performance than an Intel Core i7-1060G7.

Continue reading HERE

Please note that new posts in this forum must be approved by a moderator before becoming visible.
[-]
Quick Reply

Human Verification
Please tick the checkbox that you see below. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Overclocker pushes Intel's Core i9-11900K Rocket Lake-S chip to 7 GHz using LN2 tarekma7 0 2,209 03-30-2021 , 09:52 AM
Last Post: tarekma7
  Chinese Loongson 16-Core MIPS 12nm CPU for 256-Core Servers to Launch Shortly Mohammad.Poorya 1 1,302 03-14-2021 , 03:03 PM
Last Post: clyde