Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Post: Reddit Facebook
HELP! IOBit forum hacked? "Free 1 year license" malware link sent to hundreds.
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/...-hundreds/          
HELP! IOBit forum hacked? "Free 1 year license" malware link sent to hundreds.

Local time:02:50 PM
Posted Today, 12:56 PM

A few weeks ago, I registered to the IOBit Software Support Forums to report a bug in their software. Yesterday, I received an email (appearing to be) from them awarding forum members "a free 1-year license" with download link.

I'm usually a tech savvy guy and know better to download/run strange software, but everything looked legit (email address, artwork, link on their URL), so I downloaded the "freebie" patch that all alleged to register my IOBit software.

Hours later, my computer was completely trashed. Fortunately, I backup my boot drive every month and was able to get a working system again, but the damage the malware did was extensive and I need help recovering.

The malware went through my computer and changed the extension of over 121K files to ".DeroHE". Worse, it either corrupted the headers of those files or they are only fragments of files.

Text files are no problem. Simply change the extension to ".txt". But thousands of other files were not only renamed, but the file type was stripped from the header (bmp, ico, png, jpg, zip, rar, pdf... you name it. Trashed.) Trashed files can't be even be identified by examining the header in "Notepad++". Source code files belonging to my "Visual Studio" projects also trashed. The damage (and possible loss) is extraordinary.

And "Windows Defender" missed it all. :devil:

To recover from this disaster, I need two things: A utility that can identify/fix the now unidentifiable files, and a program that can find & rename every file whose extension was changed (preferably one program that can do both.) Do you know how long it would take to go through 121K+ files by hand, identify them (if possible) and rename them? Just the text messages alone would take ages.      Oh no Eek Peep Faint

I'm beyond pissed. Even the "IOBit" website appears to be down as I tried to report the problem (either hacked or they took it down themselves till they remedy the hack.)

HELP!
Thanks for the post. I think @mrtrout is right to scan any file even if official files from software companies
Yes, it was sent as a file in most emails

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hundreds of Networks Still Host Devices Infected With VPNFilter Malware mrtrout 0 929 01-20-2021 , 04:10 PM
Last Post: mrtrout
  Uighurs in China were target of 2-Year iOS malware attack dhruv2193 0 1,514 09-03-2019 , 04:19 AM
Last Post: dhruv2193
  Fifteen year old malware still being used in phishing attacks dhruv2193 0 1,789 07-28-2019 , 06:31 AM
Last Post: dhruv2193
  Stealthy Malware Disguises Itself as a WordPress License Key Mohammad.Poorya 2 2,522 02-01-2019 , 12:03 PM
Last Post: Bjyda
  Hackers Leak Hundreds of German Politicians' Personal Data Mohammad.Poorya 0 2,009 01-06-2019 , 05:30 AM
Last Post: Mohammad.Poorya