Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Post: Reddit Facebook
Update How To Block Cryptomining Scripts In Your Web Browser
[Image: k9hdL0I.png]

Quote:As the value of cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin and Monero skyrocketed last year, a more sinister trend came with it. Cybercriminals saw the opportunity to hijack unprotected computers to use their processing power to mine cryptocurrency – an activity that involves calculating extremely complex mathematical problems.

Those calculations require a lot of CPU resources and electricity, so hackers use browser mining scripts to illicitly using other people’s computers (called cryptojacking) so they can mine cryptocurrencies at no cost.

In this article, we’ll explain how you can protect your system from browser mining so it’s not used as a get-rich-quick vehicle for cybercriminals.

Cryptomining costs

First, we need to understand the nature of cryptocurrencies. These digital currencies are based on cryptography (also referred to as hash algorithms) that record financial transactions. There are only a certain number of hashes available, which help establish the relative value of each unit.

Creating new units of a cryptocurrency involves solving complex mathematical problem. The first person to solve the problem gets paid for their efforts in that cryptocurrency. That means legal cryptominers must invest in server farms for computing power, tremendous amounts of electricity, and cooling systems that help keep their mining operations efficient as they crunch the numbers.

Spreading the wealth with cryptomining

Browser mining scripts are not all malicious. Some websites have been experimenting with them as a possible revenue generator that would replace online advertising. One of the first websites to try this approach, for example, was Quartz. The idea of spreading cryptomining efforts across multiple user computers in exchange for access to the website seemed reasonable, especially since the user would be informed and asked to agree to the deal.

Unfortunately this approach has been abused by criminals. Rather than invest in the infrastructure needed for legitimate cryptomining, they look at browser mining scripts as a way to avoid those costs. And whether it’s Coinhive offering Monero mining tools that you insert into a website, or Coinhive alternatives like EObot and Awesome Miner that have browser Bitcoin miners, criminals have the tools needed at their fingertips.

The result is cryptojacking.

How to tell if your computer been cryptojacked

Given the drain on your CPU, if your computer suddenly is running slowly or your battery is draining particularly fast, you might have been hacked. How can you tell?

Open up your Windows Task Manager or macOS Activity Monitor and click on "Processes." If you see that your browser is working overtime, you can shut it down and restart. Unfortunately, this doesn't tell you what site ran the browser mining script.

Continue reading HERE
Thank you. I installed now addon "Minerblock" in Waterfox.