Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Post: Reddit Facebook
Buying an additional antivirus for Windows does not make m
https://spidersweb.pl/2020/10/windows-na...wirus.html        Independent tests confirm. Buying an additional antivirus for Windows does not make much sense

MACIEJ GAJEWSKI
OCTOBER 20TH, 2020            The independent research institute AV-Test for the second time gave Windows the highest marks in the category of malware protection. Microsoft Defender is making antivirus manufacturers more and more difficult to acquire users.

I have not yet forgotten the times when the installation of decent antivirus software was an obligation, which had to be done immediately after buying a new computer or installing an operating system on it from scratch. Windows has definitely not coped with millions of internet-prowling pests trying to steal data, force a ransom, or turn our computers into spam servers and DDoS attacks.

Today, I have a very different approach. One of the first things I delete the first time I start my computer is the included antivirus software. This behaves like the worst kind of bloatware, attacking me with ads asking me to buy additional features, and also significantly affects – usually negatively – the performance and stability of my computer. Does this mean that I recklessly expose my computer and other PCs on the Web to malware infections?

In theory, Windows has built-in strong protection against malicious attacks, and the core of this protection system is the Microsoft Defender module. However, who remembers a slightly more far-off IT history, he also associates that initially Microsoft's antivirus – formerly known as Security Essentials – was not among the most effective. But that changed a long time ago. And today, once again, this is proved by the AV-Test institute.

Microsoft Defender the most effective antivirus on Windows. At the same time, the least affecting the performance of the computer and the most convenient to use.

Microsoft Defender isn't the only one to score the highest marks. He came first on the podium along with seven other solutions, including those from Avira, G Daty, McAfee and Kaspersky. It is worth noting, however, that competition most often – although not in every case – wants additional fees for the operation of their solutions. Meanwhile, Microsoft Defender is just part of Windows.

As if that weren't enough, it's worth bearing in mind that antivirus solutions are applications running in full trust mode and located in the software layer directly next to the system kernel. So if something goes wrong in them, they pull down the entire operating system. Such problems, at least in theory, should not occur with a solution that is part of a protected operating system.

This, in turn, means that I see no reason to recommend anyone to install and buy an antivirus solution for Windows. The benefits are neglise – if any. And there can be quite a few problems with this. This is not good news for the developers of such solutions, although I as a user somehow do not care.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bitdefender Antivirus Free Antivirus protection for Windows. Absolutely free. mrtrout 0 483 02-16-2023 , 10:00 AM
Last Post: mrtrout
  Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition Powerful antivirus protection for Windows mrtrout 0 995 12-07-2020 , 11:46 AM
  The best Windows antivirus software for home users mrtrout 0 1,381 07-26-2020 , 12:43 AM
  Windows Defender Close to Becoming the Top Windows 10 Antivirus Microsoft’s antivi mrtrout 0 1,859 09-29-2018 , 11:25 PM
  Best Windows 10 Antivirus (July/August 2018) mrtrout 0 1,587 09-29-2018 , 02:04 AM