Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Post: Reddit Facebook
Ads are taking over Samsung's Galaxy smartphones — and it needs to stop
Quote:[Image: uuR0b3Y.png]

I have been using Samsung phones every day for almost 4 years. It was because Samsung had fantastic hardware paired with—depending on the year—good software. 2020 is the first year in a while I’m not using a Samsung phone as my daily driver. The reason? Ads.

Ads Everywhere

Ads in Samsung phones never really bothered me, at least not until the past few months. It started with the Galaxy Z Flip. A tweet from Todd Haselton of CNBC, embedded below, is what really caught my eye. Samsung had put an ad from DirectTV in the stock dialer app. This is really something I never would have expected from any smartphone company, let alone Samsung.

It showed up in the “Places” tab in the dialer app, which is in partnership with Yelp and lets you search for different businesses directly from the dialer app so you don’t need to Google somewhere to find the address or phone number. I looked into it, to see if this was maybe a mistake on Yelp’s part, accidentally displaying an ad where it shouldn’t have, but nope. The ad was placed by Samsung, in an area where it could blend in so they could make money.

Similar ads exist throughout a bunch of Samsung apps. Samsung Music has ads that look like another track in your library. Samsung Health and Samsung Pay have banners for promotional ads. The stock weather app has ads that look like they could be news. There is also more often very blatant advertising in most of these apps as well.

Samsung Music will give you a popup ad for Sirius XM, even though Spotify is built into the Samsung Music app. You can hide the SiriusXM popup, but only for 7 days at a time. A week later, it will be right back there waiting for you. Samsung will also give you push notification ads for new products from Bixby, Samsung Pay, and Samsung Push Service.

Continue reading HERE
Yes, ads are annoying. There is a workaround that allows us to enjoy Spotify music on our Samsung smartphones without ads. I use music converter for Spotify to help me download songs in my playlist to local files with the Spotify free account, so I am then able to listen to music without ads.
As for me, the best way to block ads from Spotify songs is to use my AudKit Spotify Music Downloader
The downloaded Spotify songs by this tiny tool are total ads-free. 
More importantly, it doesn't need to subscribe to Spotify Premium.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Update Samsung Galaxy S23 Unveiling Date Leaked tarekma7 0 1,979 12-24-2022 , 04:27 PM
Last Post: tarekma7
  iPhone 14 Pro Max vs Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra - Never Even Fair tarekma7 0 1,504 09-15-2022 , 12:20 PM
  Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra DEEP DIVE Review tarekma7 0 2,572 03-19-2022 , 02:44 PM
  Samsung Announces February 9 Event to Launch the Galaxy S22 mrtrout 0 2,743 01-26-2022 , 01:40 AM
Last Post: mrtrout
  Samsung Officially Launches the Galaxy S21 FE mrtrout 0 2,114 01-06-2022 , 01:01 AM
Last Post: mrtrout