Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Post: Reddit Facebook
'I love you': How a badly-coded computer virus caused billions in damage & exposed...
Quote: Wearing a striped shirt and Matrix-style dark glasses, Onel de Guzman stared at the floor as he made his way through a crowd of photographers into a hastily arranged press conference in Quezon City, a suburb of the Philippines capital Manila.
Seated to his right, de Guzman's lawyer Rolando Quimbo[b] [/b]had to lean in close to hear the 23-year-old's mumbled response, which he then repeated in English for the waiting press.
"He is not really aware that the acts imputed to him were indeed done by him," the lawyer said. "So if you ask me whether or not he was aware of the consequences I would say that he is not aware."

It was May 11, 2000, and if de Guzman was feeling shell-shocked, he had good reason to be. 

He was accused of authoring and releasing the first truly global[b] [/b]computer virus that had disrupted the operations of businesses and government agencies the world over, from Ford (F) and Merrill Lynch to the Pentagon and the British Parliament, and was on track to cause a estimated $10 billion in damages — all in the name of love.

Continue reading here:
https://edition.cnn.com/2020/05/01/tech/iloveyou-virus-computer-security-intl-hnk/index.html

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  RansomEXX ransomware Linux encryptor may damage victims' files mrtrout 0 645 09-30-2021 , 09:52 PM
Last Post: mrtrout
  Payroll giant PrismHR outage likely caused by ransomware attack Bjyda 0 1,082 03-04-2021 , 12:00 AM
Last Post: Bjyda
  Billions of Users Affected with Google Chrome Zero-Day mrtrout 0 931 08-15-2020 , 11:00 PM
Last Post: mrtrout
  Wi-Fi Security Flaw: Billions of devices are affected by Eavesdropping Attacks sidemoon 0 1,530 02-29-2020 , 08:22 PM
Last Post: sidemoon
  Does Your Computer Have a Virus? Here’s How to Check Herran 0 1,548 10-08-2019 , 08:29 AM
Last Post: Herran