Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Post: Reddit Facebook
Windows 10 Upgrade HELP
I have windows 10 version 1809

I read some news that this version will not be supported this year and users must upgrade to the current version 1909

Is there anyone who tried to do the upgrade?

is it better to use feature update or Windows 10 Update Assistant tool from microsoft?

Also, any problems encountered during or after upgrade?

I appreciate any help or advice
version 1809 is one of the worst
the 1903 and 1909 much better
that's my experience.
just hit check for updates
until I offer you the 1909 version
Hi brother, long time no see!

Now my PC is Windows 10 the latest version 1909. And everything goes well.
I think futher version is usually betther than older version. It will fix some bugs and add some new features. Also new version will be more safer.
I even used Windows 7 on my home PC several days ago. Then I had rebuilt my PC with Windows 10. 
Microsoft always makes the best decision for us Tongue
Tarek,
My advice is to upgrade to the latest build to avoid all kind of bugs.
Even with the latest version you`ll have them but at least you`ll be upgraded. Smile
In my opinion, Windows 10 is still unstable although i stayed with Windows 7 long enough (february 2020) hoping i won`t have any problems but i had some minor ones.

I think that with Windows 10 all depends on luck.
Thumb
I was early in trying to update my 1809 to 1903 and had massive problems at first. Windows update didn't (yet) offer the update, the Microsoft Update Tool encountered some problems with my system and refused to update (unfortunately the tool is quite silent about the nature of the updates). I did some log analyzing and found out it had to do with an incomatible driver from (an old version of) Daemon Tools. Additionally my system was equipped with Intel hardware that was known to cause problems back then.

However, I was curious and used the Microsoft Update Tool to create an installation USB stick and used this to upgrade. The result: update failed, I got a bluescreen after the installation copied the files to my harddisk. After another reboot, Windows detected the failed update and reverted back to the previous version, so at least I got no data loss and a working system. (To tell the truth: I encountered yet another problem. My system was a dual boot Win/Linux and the process killed my bootloader so I had to fix it through Grub emergency system.)

So, no update for me in the early days of 1903. About two months later I tried to update again, but still got the error message from the Update Tool. I took this as a sign to set up my system from scratch, backed up all data, formatted my system partition and ... installation succeeded without problems. So either Microsoft fixed some issues in the meantime or a fresh installation has less compatibility issues than an update.

Upgrading from 1903 to 1909 was no problem at all, was started from within Windows update and only took some minutes (this is due to Microsoft having already delivered 1903->1909 with a monthly feature update but having disabled it. So the "upgrade" was more of an enabler than a real update).

To cut a long story short:
- yes, massive problems with upgrading
- no data loss and reverting to previous version worked well
- clean install succeeded

As always, a backup of your (important) data before doing the update should be done.
if you have or had Macrium Reflect installed before
you may not be able to update because Macrium makes a change in the windows registry that points to the path to update.
the original value must be reset.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind...07fc3943a5
this worked for me
after trying for hours to update from 1809 to 1903
my sister-in-law's pc
Today I did a clean install of 1909, no issues installing and working fine.

I always perform a clean install of a major release. In-place install or upgrade is messy.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question on Windows 10 upgrade Bjourne 3 3,413 02-19-2016 , 06:16 AM
Last Post: Bjourne