Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Post: Reddit Facebook
Anonymous file sharing
Anonymous file sharing

Today I want to discuss safe and anonymous file transfer. The task at first glance seems simple and trivial, but it is not. How to solve this issue? - there are lots of options. Let's compare file transfer methods and services that can help us in this, compare their functionality, pros / cons and pay special attention to security and anonymity.

1) Mega https://mega.nz/

The service has been operating since 2013. Encrypts all content directly in the browser using the AES algorithm. Users can transfer files to each other in encrypted form, while all data is stored in the "cloud". File access keys are not published in the public domain, but distributed according to the Friend-to-Friend scheme between users who trust each other.

In terms of convenience - at least you need to register in this service, then add the person to your friends and transfer the file, or create a link to the desired file and somehow transfer this link.

The conclusion is safe and at the same time inconvenient.

2) File transfer through services like “SendSpace”, etc.

sendspace.com , dropmefiles.com , wikisend.com , 2share.su

As a rule, you yourself must create an archive, for greater security, encrypt it, upload it to this kind of service, and then somehow transfer the link and password to the archive to the recipient. Many services have a function of deleting a file after downloading, or creating a link to delete a file - you should pay attention to these functions and, if possible, use them. One of the additional drawbacks - these services are usually full of advertising and are hung with different "left" buttons.

Conclusion: inconvenient, security depends on you and the service in this regard does not affect it in any way.

Separately, you can highlight the 2share.su service. Unlike analogues, there are no advertising elements in it, it has the ability to create an archive and password for it directly on the site. In addition, you can save your settings on it so that you do not return to them in the future.

3) Telegram https://telegram.org/

In terms of security, everything is fine - end-to-end encryption.

In terms of convenience - also not bad, just throw the files to your contacts and you're done.

In terms of anonymity - far from ideal.

To use Telegram, you need registration, and this is a phone number. Given the development of services of “breaking through" Telegram accounts, this option is far from anonymous, as it might seem at first glance.

4) SafeBox https://sfbox.org/?q=eng

This service appeared on the market recently. It is positioned as a service for safe and anonymous file transfer using a separate program. The service is positioned as anonymous, registration is completely absent, just download and install the application.

After installing the application, the server gives us our ID. Next, we get their IDs from the recipients and add them to our contacts in all instant messengers. After that, you can start sharing files. Something reminiscent of "Telegram". The service uses encryption (PGP, RSA 2048).

The conclusion is safe, anonymous, convenient. The service definitely deserves attention.

5) Skype skype.com

It may surprise you, but yes, they still use it.

Anonymity - there is nothing to talk about, registration is required to work with the service, and telemetry is also required (this is Microsoft).

Encryption - not everything is so bad, encryption is present.

Convenience - the usual interface, everything is clear and understandable, it is convenient to share files.

6) Signal https://signal.org/

Top messenger in terms of anonymity and security. The messenger uses the ZRTP cryptographic protocol and AES algorithm with a key length of 128 bits. Both in theory and in practice, it is almost impossible to circumvent this protection even with the help of a group of trained people with good equipment. There is a version for both iOS and Android.

In terms of security, everything is fine.

What by anonymity - the messenger asks your address book to determine which of the contacts you can communicate using it. For use, registration by phone number is required. Agree - far from anonymous.

The conclusion is safe, convenient, but not anonymous.

7) Wickr https://wickr.com/

This messenger arose just like Signal after the NSA data leak statement. Established in 2013. At that time, there was generally a peak in the emergence of high-quality encryption applications.

Wickr developers from the very beginning stated that this is the most secure messenger in the world, although the application code is closed and cannot be tested by various experts, as is the case with Signal. Wickr encodes almost any type of information, including photos, audio, text and video. It does not allow you to copy or forward messages or content to third parties, and you can not take a screenshot there either. The application uses encryption standards AES 256, ECDH 521, RSA 4096 TLD. Its big plus is that during registration you come up with a unique ID and password. It is not necessary to register via phone number binding.

Separately, I want to note the interface. It is more complicated than in Signal, but it has a logical explanation. Wickr has several packages (Wickr pro and Wickr ent), including paid ones for organizations. Therefore, many companies, especially European ones, use this messenger as a corporate one.

"Wickr me" (regular version) is free and implemented for both iOS and Android.

Conclusions: safe, anonymous. In terms of convenience - there are comments.

8) Discord https://discordapp.com/

This is the weirdest messenger from the entire collection. The fact is that “Discord” is, first of all, “Voice chat” for gamers. Initially, Discord provides protection against any attempt by a DDoS player and prevents the player from knowing the IP of the player. In general, to simplify, the application’s protection is more or less, especially with regard to voice messages and audio in general. It is for this reason that I decided to add it to the list. Here is a rather specific interface, I think it shouldn’t bother you much, since initially “Discord”, nevertheless, was created for those who play computer games. For use registration is required. The developers say that everything is transmitted via HTTPS, which means we have nothing to worry about. Seriously? The DiscordCrypt plugin developer does not think so. It is in it that e2e encryption is implemented and when it is used, security is increased significantly.

Conclusions: the interface is unusual, but over time it’s quite convenient to use. Anonymity - I repeat, registration is required for use. Security - when using the DiscordCrypt plugin.

Sasha, special for Promo2day.

PS: It is written with the help of Google translator, there may be errors.

Here I described the exchangers I am familiar with. You can add yours in the comments. Add a description and links.
Thanks for the post
Sasha,

I have been using "Firefox Send," https://send.firefox.com/  ...  How would you rate this service on anonymity?

"Firefox-Send is a free encrypted file transfer service that allows users to safely and simply share files from any browser." 

More info: LINK.

[Image: giphy.gif]
........................................ Tongue 

Thanks for the great post and fantastic review of each service. Thumb

Elijah  Smile
My friend, I have not been using Firefox for a long time, since there is no function to fully translate pages, it is not convenient for me, since I visit many sites / forums in different languages, and I need translation. You need to read about them, user reviews, expert evaluation, and it is advisable not to believe that they write about themselves on their site.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sharing giveaweays on Facebook? clyde 8 4,430 05-31-2016 , 08:59 PM
Last Post: clyde