Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Post: Reddit Facebook
Second Chances
[Image: 599pWPz.png]

The other day I woke up at four AM, showered got dressed and headed off to work. It was a bit chilly outside, so I let the car warm up for a few minutes before pulling out of the driveway. I watched through my car window, two deer, eating some fallen apples on the ground under the tree in the front yard. They could care less about me. Their full attention was on the delicious red apples they were munching.

Without too much more thought, I put the car in reverse and backed out. Once in the street, I put the car into drive, my foot went down on the gas pedal, and up the road I went. About a mile from home, I must have dozed off. My eyes opened and I was still on the road, only headed toward home instead of toward work. My God, I thought to my self, I must have been dreaming. I was on my way home from working nights. I quickly gathered my wits about me and focused on the road. With only a mile to go, I didn't need to kill myself in a damn accident. I opened the window and slapped my face hard to keep awake.

Pulling into the driveway, I noticed something very odd. The apple tree was just a sapling, and my wife's car, was our old blue ford Taurus, and not the newer model Hyundai she had now. Everything looked normal, but different. Somehow it looked younger. I put my key in the doorknob and went inside. My eyes couldn't believe what they were seeing. It was as if I had stepped into the past. Our old carpet was on the floor, the old kitchen cabinets were back, and there were toys all over the floor. I was stunned. I walked quietly down the hallway toward the bedrooms which had been empty for years now. I looked in the first room. There was my son Chris, all cuddled in his blankets sound asleep. Each room I went to, my children were all tucked in and sleeping comfortably. I stood in the hall with tears in my eyes. Had I just dreamed in that quick moment in the car, my, or should I say, our whole lives. Here I was, back in the happiest time of my life, when the kids were all small with their whole lives ahead of them. I headed into my room, and sure enough, there was my beautiful bride asleep, and all cuddled up with my pillows, and on my side of the bed.

I went to the kitchen and got a drink of water. I pinched my face to be sure I was awake. I flicked the light on and off a couple times, and went and sat on the couch. Surely, I must have had the craziest dream ever in the car. In just an instant, I had dreamed of an entire lifetime. I dreamed of the kids growing up and getting married, and even having kids of their own. There were some very good times, and some very bad times. I couldn't believe it. It was as if I had just been given a second chance at life. I could change the bad things in my dream. I vowed to myself right there on the couch to make life the best I could for us all. I will hug the kids and my darling wife every morning and every night. I will spend more time with them all. I will be the best husband and father possible. I did pretty good in the dream. The kids all grew into wonderful adults, and my wife seemed happy, and we were in love. I could just imagine how much better it could be, knowing what I know now.

I got up off the couch ecstatic. I wanted to shout and tell the world the great news. I felt so invigorated and alive. Who could sleep now. I went into the bathroom and turned on the light. I looked in the mirror to see my face beaming with the joy and happiness I felt in my heart. But my reflection was not there.

At first I was afraid, and then peace came over me like a soft warm wave, washing down on me from my head to my feet, completely filling my heart and soul. I turned the light off and stepped through the door into the hall. The carpet was back. The cabinets new again. The rooms empty. I walked slowly to my room and saw my loving spouse still cuddled with my pillows and still on my side of the bed. I took my clothes off and climbed in next to her. I spooned her very gently as to not wake her up. Just then my eyes opened. I had driven off the road and hit a tree. I watched from above as the emergency crew worked on getting me out of the car. I heard them talking frantically. There's no pulse. I watched as they tried to restart my heart, but to no avail, I was gone from this life. I watched for a few more minutes, and then was lifted by some force, up and through the clouds. Suddenly a bright light, brighter than anything I have ever seen flashed before me.

I got a pulse I heard the man say. My eye's opened for a split second. I saw the ems members working hard to keep me alive. The next thing I remember was waking up in the hospital. I had my second chance after all. Maybe not as a young husband and father, but as a husband and grandfather, with a life time of lessons learned. I realize today, that it is never too late to be the best person you can be. I for one will live every day like it is my last, because it might just be.

Wishing you all the best weekend ever, and the strength to be the best you can be. Open your heart right now and let love fill your soul.