Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Post: Reddit Facebook
Why Windows 7 Is Still a Good Choice for Home Users
[Image: why-windows-7-is-still-a-good-choice-for...0691-3.jpg]

Quote:Windows 7 still has the biggest market share on the desktop

Windows 10’s market share improves worldwide, but despite the sometimes aggressive push that Microsoft embraced in order to convince users to upgrade, it still has a hard time competing against its predecessor Windows 7.

In other words, Windows 10 adoption is improving, that’s right, but right now, Windows 7 continues to be the most widely-used desktop operating system across the world.

So no matter how hard it tries, Microsoft still can’t switch all users to Windows 10, and Windows 7 not only that survived the said aggressive tactic, but is also likely to remain the leader for a long time.

Needless to say, this is worrying for Microsoft because of two different reasons. First, the longer Windows 7 continues to be the number one desktop operating system, the harder it is for the software giant to make Windows 10 the preferred choice for everyone. Windows 7 is still considered a good pick by many users, and upgrading to Windows 10 is not an option for them.

Second of all, with Windows 7 end-of-support approaching, Microsoft could face another Windows XP moment. This means that when the firm stops releasing security patches in January 2020 for Windows 7, all those still running the platform would be exposed to attacks. And the chances are there’ll be a lot of them given that Windows 7 currently has a market share of around 40 percent. Back in 2014 when Microsoft ended Windows XP support, the 2001 OS was running on some 25 percent of PCs.

Windows 7 still does its job well
Going back to Windows 7 being considered a good choice by many users, the biggest question is why this happens. Windows 10 brings so many improvements in pretty much all regards, so why aren’t users upgrading already? Why sticking with a platform that’s not offering you the best of the best?

The answer is because these users don’t need anything more than what Windows 7 has to offer. Or at least, they don’t think they do.

A significant part of the Windows user base is mostly interested in basic tasks like browsing the web, checking emails, and watching movies or listening to music. Windows 7 is no exception, and even though it lacks the more advanced functionality bundled in Windows 10, it serves its purpose very well.

When used just like this, Windows 7 reminds of Windows 10 S (or Windows 10 with S Mode, as Microsoft calls it now). Windows 10 with S Mode is a Microsoft Store-restricted version of Windows 10 which only allows users to run apps from the Store and block the install of Win32 software. This means the system can be used for basic tasks like the ones mentioned above, while benefiting from extra security.

The major drawback: security
Obviously, Windows 7 can run Win32 software, but on the other hand, when used for browsing the web and other simple things like this, it’s not entirely what makes the difference.

And while the 2009 operating system could be considered the right choice when looking at your needs from this perspective, not the same thing can be said about security versus Windows 10.

Clearly, Windows 10 is the more secure choice, and it comes with technologies that protect users even when doing these basic things mentioned above. But at the same time, Windows 7 isn’t the most vulnerable platform either, and third-party apps, like Google Chrome and antivirus apps, can help add an extra layer of security when needed. This means that with the right apps and basic computer knowledge to avoid the typical hacking tactics, Windows 7 is a tough nut to crack in terms of security.

The existing 40+ percent market share of Windows 7 is living proof that many still don’t consider Windows 10 a choice simply because their system does what they need and nothing more. As the old saying goes, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it, right?

SOURCE
I use Windows 7 Pro all the time. In my opinion, Windows 7 is more reliable than Windows 10. For now I do not think about switching on Windows 10, although I hope that in the future they will improve these constantly failures with updates.
I'm using Windows 7 all the time. For now I'm not going to change to Windows 10, because it has some bugs with updates all the time. In the case of Windows 7, I've never had any problem with computer updates and stability.
read this: Older Versions of Windows To Support Edge
http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/computin...4081315419
No. Isn't it better to choose the latest Windows system that does not work as a service? Windows 8.1
Windows 10 is slow in many old computers. In those computers Windows 7 is better.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Microsoft Says Users Pleased with Windows 10 Privacy as Spying Claims Are Gone tarekma7 0 2,188 08-08-2017 , 12:41 PM
Last Post: tarekma7
  Windows 10 Users Will Soon Be Able to Send Phone Text Messages from PCs tarekma7 1 2,887 04-08-2016 , 03:36 PM
Last Post: neutrinos