Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Post: Reddit Facebook
Malwarebytes has blocked Registry Reviver and their website for as a PUP
http://www.majorgeeks.com/news/story/mal...tives.html       Malwarebytes Blocks Registry Reviver as an Infection and PUP with False Positives
Posted by: Timothy Tibbetts on 12/30/2017 01:58 PM [  Comments ]
Malwarebytes has blocked Registry Reviver and their website for as a PUP system optimizer. 

Only one problem. It's not a PUP. Malwarebytes has hopped on the PUP bandwagon years back flagging anything with third party-software included. A PUP is potentially Unwanted Programs, and Malwarebytes has broadened the term to sell more software.

According to Malwarebytes researcher "MetallicaMVP:"

The Malwarebytes research team has determined that Registry Reviver is a "system optimizer." These so-called "system optimizers" use intentional false positives to convince users that their systems have problems. Then they try to sell you their software, claiming it will remove these problems.

We decided to run Registry Reviver against CCleaner. Registry Reviver is aggressive while CCleaner is notoriously conservative. Registry Reviver found 152 and CCleaner found 55. We then began randomly searching for invalid entries against the additional 97 registry entries Registry Reviver found. We discovered the first ten we choose at random were indeed invalid registry entries. Now, we can argue, and we'd probably agree, they are useless or empty keys, but we would then have to ask you what exactly did you expect a registry cleaner to do?

So we tweeted a reply and asked if they were false registry entries and Pieter admitted they "probably" weren't false positives yet didn't modify this article. They also call it an infection while again admitting that to get Registry Revier you have to download it yourself. That's bad business.   :( Sick Oh no Eek
to get the best with malwarebytes i did:

1- use v2
2- disable web protection
3- set notifications to be off
(01-01-2018 , 12:38 PM)deathsmear Wrote: to get the best with malwarebytes i did:

1- use v2
2- disable web protection
3- set notifications to be off

Same here. I`m using v2 also. I will disable web protection.
;)
Smart move.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NCSC cyber defence scheme blocked thousands of scams in 2019 Bjyda 0 898 02-21-2021 , 12:43 AM
Last Post: Bjyda
  Microsoft has blocked the ability to disable Windows 10 antivirus Igoreha 0 1,121 08-23-2020 , 12:26 PM
Last Post: Igoreha
  Notepad++ has apparently been blocked by Chinese authorities mrtrout 0 949 08-19-2020 , 05:50 PM
Last Post: mrtrout
  Microsoft Says NSA’s Leaked Windows Hacks Already Blocked, Users Fully Secure mrtrout 0 2,290 04-16-2017 , 01:38 AM
Last Post: mrtrout