Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Post: Reddit Facebook
Malware found in ccleaner
Threat actor compromised CCleaner infrastructure

Cisco Talos security researchers detected the tainted CCleaner app last week while performing beta testing of a new exploit detection technology.
Researchers identified a version of CCleaner 5.33 making calls to suspicious domains. While initially, this looked like another case where a user downloaded a fake, malicious CCleaner app, they later discovered that the CCleaner installer was downloaded from the official website and was signed using a valid digital certificate.
Cisco Talos believes that a threat actor might have compromised Avast's supply chain and used its digital certificate to replace the legitimate CCleaner v5.33 app on its website with one that also contained the Floxif trojan.
It is unclear if this threat actor breached Avast's systems without the company's knowledge, or the malicious code was added by "an insider with access to either the development or build environments within the organization."

LINK
Security Notification from piriform 
Duh Peep
Quote:The infected version of CCleaner, 5.33  for Windows, was made available for download on Aug. 15, and its cleaned version, version 5.34, on Sept. 12. The infected version of CCleaner Cloud was made available on Aug. 24, and a clean version on Sept. 15. The Mac and Android versions of CCleaner do not appear to have been affected.
An Avast spokeswoman told Reuters that 2.27 million users had downloaded the infected version of CCleaner, and that 5,000 installations of CCleaner Cloud had received the tainted update to that software.
If you're on version 5.33 of CCleaner, which states its version number in its top left corner of its interface, your best bet may be to roll back your Windows system to a snapshot from before Aug. 15, as your system may have been compromised since then. At the very least, make sure your own anti-virus software is up to date.
Those without the option to restore a backup should check if their CCleaner is 5.33. Yung notes that that Piriform is updating all versions of its software up to non-malicious versions, but users can download a new copy here.

Read all about it Here
Bad news for CCleaner users. If i were them i would uninstall it and clean the PCs or restore from an image to an earlier state.  :exclamation:
there are other utilities like ccleaner like ashampoo winoptimizer 15,  wisecare 365 free & paid software,  glary utilities free & pro versions, etc.
I am using version 5.32
What you need to know...

https://www.howtogeek.com/326742/ccleane...d-to-know/
(09-18-2017 , 07:00 PM)tarekma7 Wrote: I am using version 5.32

Your version is ok Tarek.
Original article , read here:

http://blog.talosintelligence.com/2017/0...lware.html
I am trying to remember why I didnot update my version

I have two apps that I download updates immediately after being available with no hesitation

I have an advice from dinosaur to wait for the update and not installing any update immediately

I just forget to update......= LUCK + Dinosaur07