Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Post: Reddit Facebook
Canadian Goldy McJohn, founding member of Steppenwolf, dead at 72
http://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/gol...-1.4235378       Canadian Goldy McJohn, founding member of Steppenwolf, dead at 72
Facebook post on his fan page says he died Tuesday of a heart attack
The Canadian Press Posted: Aug 04, 2017 11:48 AM ET Last Updated: Aug 04, 2017 1:43 PM ET

Keyboard player Goldy McJohn, whose given name was John Goadsby, died on Tuesday of a heart attack, according to a post on his Facebook page. (Aaron Meyers)

Steppenwolf founding member Goldy McJohn, whose roaring organ sounds and big hair brought a powerful presence to the group behind the classic-rock staples Born to be Wild and Magic Carpet Ride, has died.

The Canadian keyboard player died on Tuesday of a heart attack, according to a post on his Facebook page. He was 72.

"He died at home in my arms, that's all I can say," McJohn's wife, Sonja, told The Canadian Press by phone from Seattle on Friday, adding they had been together for 30 years.

He was playing the organ right up until the day before he died, she said.

"I bought him an organ that he wanted really bad and he played it almost every day since I got it for him. And I wish I could hear him now."

A funeral service has been scheduled for next Friday in Seattle.

McJohn's given name was John Goadsby, but he picked up the nickname Goldy in the late 60s and decided to stick with it. He added Mc to his surname to honour his late mother (whose maiden name was McIntyre).

Steppenwolf's keyboard player Goldy McJohn has died. He was also one of the Canadian founding members of the band, best known for the classic-rock staples Born to be Wild and Magic Carpet Ride. (Rock and Roll Hall of Fame/Canadian Press)

McJohn and Toronto-raised lead singer John Kay were among the founding members of Steppenwolf. The group also included Canadians Jerry Edmonton on drums and Nick St. Nicholas on bass.

The band got its start as The Sparrows, playing gigs around Ontario.

Rockabilly musician Ronnie Hawkins recalls them playing at his club, the Hawk's Nest, on Yonge Street in Toronto.

"They were just starting when they were at the Hawk's Nest, but I remember them and the piano player had that afro or whatever you call that great big head of hair," Hawkins said by phone Friday from his home in Peterborough, Ont.  Cry Cry Cry Cry

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Don Williams, The Williams Brothers' Last Surviving Member, Dead at 100 mrtrout 0 937 01-04-2023 , 08:13 AM
Last Post: mrtrout
  Canadian broadcasters to hire more Black, Indigenous and People of Color. mrtrout 0 1,187 10-08-2020 , 06:54 AM
  Dismay, disbelief after late-May Newfoundland snowstorm (The Canadian Press ) mrtrout 0 2,158 05-26-2018 , 02:49 AM
  George A. Romero, Night of the Living Dead director, dead at 77 mrtrout 0 2,581 07-19-2017 , 04:53 AM
  Chuck Berry, a Founding Father of Rock 'n' Roll, Dies at 90 mrtrout 3 2,814 03-19-2017 , 12:50 PM
Last Post: Mike