Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Post: Reddit Facebook
Heimdal Security Review
Heimdal Security
Heimdal PRO uses Internet traffic scanning to keep you safe against ransomware, financial Trojans, data-stealing malware and other threats that antivirus can't detect.

Features:

2nd generation traffic-based malware detection system
Scan your Internet traffic to block malicious traffic
Enhance your security with automated software updates/patches
Silent vulnerability blocking with Auto-Pilot Mode
Exploit protection (only in Pro)
DNS and browser hijacking protection (only in Pro)
Block various different types of online attacks (only in Pro)

Requirements:

OS – Windows
Version - Windows 7, Windows 8/8.1, Windows 10 (Both 32-bit and 64-bit)
Microsoft >net Framework 4.6.1

Details:

Company Website: https://heimdalsecurity.com/en/
Product Website: Free Version – https://heimdalsecurity.com/en/products/heimdal-free
                            Pro version - https://heimdalsecurity.com/en/products/heimdal-pro

Download Linkhttps://heimdalsecurity.com/en/get-heimdal
Installer Type – Online Installer
Price – 1 year 1 PC = 34 €

Review:

Heimdal Pro is a security protection program used to provide a supplementary protection to your operating system. Thus, it can be considered to provide an extra layer of security to your PC. So you might have a question how it is different from any antivirus or what does it do different that makes it unique from traditional security AV software. “Heimdal is not an antivirus, it is a perfect complement to One” as said by Heimdal security. Also, “Antivirus is reactive because it looks for files and action, while Heimdal is proactive and looks at your internet traffic”. So wrapping all the things, you will get the general approach used by Heimdal to make you safe.

[Image: 9iqJlrw.png]

It offers the protection in three different modules which we will discussed later in the course of detailed review below. Also, as you have already learnt, Heimdal has two different versions of software Heimdal Free and Heimdal Pro. Wonder what is the difference between both the versions?? Let’s have a look and compare what Heimdal offer in the Free and Pro versions.

[Image: 93v86Hz.png]

Starting with the installation part, the installer provided by the Heimdal is online and thus will download the necessary setup files from the internet. After download and installation, it ask for some initial setup to start protecting you. You will configure the settings in just two steps.

[Image: I5xqK2o.png]

1st step is to configure the application update setup. It asks to choose the Security updates module to run and monitor updates into one of the two available modes – AUTOPILOT or CUSTOM mode.

[Image: XFy2h4L.png]

AUTOPilot Mode – In AutoPilot mode, Heimdal run in auto monitor mode and will check and update the outdated app automatically in silent mode. Thus, no user intervention is required and everything will be complete in background.

Custom Mode – In Custom Mode, updates will be checked automatically by Heimdal but will not be downloaded and installed until user permission and also there will be no silent installation.

2nd Step is to configure the notification system of how notification will be delivered to you by Heimdal.

[Image: bckuzff.png]

Balloon notification will appear on the right-bottom side of your screen and you can configure them according to your choice. To see the preview of the notification on the screen, you can click green color eye icon on the side to check how the notification will look like. Also, you will see the blue color ‘I’ in Heimdal product (yes, even in GUI after setup), by this you can access the hint about that particular setting which Heimdal show in the left or right pane as shown in the above image.

Now, your Heimdal security has been setup initially and ready to use.

This main window will open-up after initial setup which contains most basic summary and information.

[Image: hVP0Y43.png]

A more handy and featured gif of the main window

[Image: af2JMNs.gif]

As I have already told, Heimdal has basic three modules for protection. Now let’s discuss each one of them one by one.

Traffic Scanning – Heimdal security scan your web traffic to block the harmful and dangerous content before they reach your PC and may exploit it using zero day vulnerabilities. It has two options provided –

1.      Traffic filtering – Heimdal filters your network adapter and blocks the potential dangerous applications on the go. To do so, it changes your system DNS for Ipv4 and IPv6 to their own. It creates an offline and a full online database which it will check upon every url request to check for potential threats.
For the IPv4 it will change it from “Obtain DNS server addresses automatically” or from an already set DNS (that will be backed up in a registry) to 127.0.0.1
For the IPv6 it will change it to : : 1
It check for the visited site in the offline database (approx. 15-20 MB) and if not found here it again check in online bigger database and take further actions accordingly.
2.      Automatically Disable Traffic Filtering – Heimdal detects for the internet connectivity to search its online database for websites, but if it doesn’t get connectivity it automatically disables it so that you remain online, i.e., while it is disabled your DNS changes to “Obtain DNS server addresses automatically”.

[Image: G0VF8jp.png]

Another module for Heimdal is Malware Scanning Engine

Malware Scanning – It proactively protects your system by detecting and blocking second generation malwares on your system. By this it means, it analyses the code of executable files to the database present on online cloud and also check for the patterns using machine learning algorithm.
On the right hand side of Malware Scanning tab, you get how many times Heimdal has performed scan on your system in last 7 days and how many threats are being detected.

[Image: mkisJ2r.png]

The last module, present is “Software patching monitor”

Patching System – It check your PC for the software installed that are supported by Heimdal for any patches. Yes, you heard it right only some of the software that are critical and widely used are only supported by Heimdal. On the right, you get the Heimdal patching system history.

[Image: xp6BVlo.png]

One more interesting thing to note here is that you can install the Heimdal supported software from here itself by going in Recommended Software tab.

[Image: PFDnqpE.png]

Now coming to the Activity reports, which you can access by clicking on the Top-right “Activity Report” icon.

General – In this tab, you get the general history and report of Heimdal security work of all three modules.

[Image: EkNpxpO.png]

Security News Alert – Gives you the security news feeds directly into your Heimdal window. These feeds are fetched from Heimdal security blog.

[Image: nQlca7K.png]

Software Patches – Get the list of software patched by Heimdal to improve security.

[Image: NVWKVTc.png]

Infections Detected – Threats blocked by Heimdal malware engine

[Image: JwMvGBo.png]

Websites Blocked – List of all potential websites blocked by the Heimdal security DNS and database.

[Image: Dxl3st2.png]

Now coming to the Settings, which you can access by clicking Settings Icon on Top-Right corner side.

Settings – Tweaks the modules running behaviour from here and also access to Patching system update check frequency. You can also change the program language from here.

[Image: X12nhEO.png]

Notification Center – Once this get setup on installation but here you can change it again whatever way you want. As I already have given explanation in the initial setup in my review, I think it is clear from there and need not to explain again.

[Image: lwFexyw.png]

Licence – Check your licence status or insert a new licence to get Pro version of Heimdal Running.

[Image: gis51l1.png]

Support – Get help to the different issues people face while using Heimdal.

[Image: 4cXDu4M.png]

About – Info about the Heimdal company.

[Image: XNjmgaK.png]

One uncommon thing I notice about Heimdal is that it doesn’t have any right click menu in System icon tray. You can only click it to open the Heimdal security window.

My Observations and Tests –

I try to check how Heimdal performs in its test, I haven’t performed all test from which Heimdal can protect you.

Traffic Scanning It blocked most of the malicious URLs successfully.
Malware Engine Well, I ran 7 day old, “Cerner ransomware” and my system got infected. Couple of old malwares got blocked successfully. But, IMO malware scanner still need to improve.
Patching System – Gives you recent updates and installation is silent and no headache for user to update them (silent updates).

Note – These tests are very small in number and thus I can’t come to any concrete conclusion. Thus, don’t take them much seriously.

Final Verdict – Heimdal Security is a good tool to have if you are much concerned about your PC security and as I told, it mostly works as a proactive suite and thus can be considered as to add an extra line of defence.
Thanks for the very good review, gdant. 
Thanks for the great review gdant.
Thanks Gdant !
I AM Using AVAST ANTIVIRUS Free & Kerish Doctor 2017  For My PC Protection Both Seem To Be Working Great Together I Am Sticking To This Combo For Me I do not now anything about this  Heimdal Security Product after using Panda Antivirus free & IObit Advanced Systemcare Pro & OTHER IObit Software these  products Messed Up My PC  Last Night I Will Never Use them Again AVAST ANTIVIRUS Free & Kerish Doctor 2017  Are ALL I Need Right Now but this product is not for me but others may like it the choice is yours i have never used it so i cannot judge it myself
Thanks for the good informative review
thanks gdant for excellent review. Fan
(03-18-2017 , 10:16 PM)mrtrout Wrote: I AM Using AVAST ANTIVIRUS Free & Kerish Doctor 2017  For My PC Protection Both Seem To Be Working Great Together I Am Sticking To This Combo For Me I do not now anything about this  Heimdal Security Product after using Panda Antivirus free & IObit Advanced Systemcare Pro & OTHER IObit Software these  products Messed Up My PC  Last Night I Will Never Use them Again AVAST ANTIVIRUS Free & Kerish Doctor 2017  Are ALL I Need Right Now but this product is not for me but others may like it the choice is yours i have never used it so i cannot judge it myself

hmm, looking by your configuration, if you are normal user with only surfing (no unknown program downloading) then it's ok otherwise have some secondary scanner and exploit protection tool. Heimdal provides what you will more than what you will find in Avast free like Avast free doesn't have exploit protection. Though many features of Heimdal and Avast are same but it depends on implementation how effective is that compare to other but unfortunately I haven't compare both so can't comment on it.

One more thing, never ever believe in Iobit software, they are just another piece of crap made to make your system waste. Even they caught in many illegal actions like Theft of Malwarebytes database, etc. It is better to use any free alternative of this.
(03-18-2017 , 10:16 PM)mrtrout Wrote: I AM Using AVAST ANTIVIRUS Free & Kerish Doctor 2017  For My PC Protection Both Seem To Be Working Great Together I Am Sticking To This Combo For Me I do not now anything about this  Heimdal Security Product after using Panda Antivirus free & IObit Advanced Systemcare Pro & OTHER IObit Software these  products Messed Up My PC  Last Night I Will Never Use them Again AVAST ANTIVIRUS Free & Kerish Doctor 2017  Are ALL I Need Right Now but this product is not for me but others may like it the choice is yours i have never used it so i cannot judge it myself

First thanks for the another great review gdant.

Hi Mrtrout,

If you're searching any anti expolite, I have MBAEP I can send you if you really need it.

Regards 
Mohammad
Thanks for the review.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ESET Smart Security Review tarekma7 15 7,999 02-11-2016 , 02:09 PM
Last Post: beetal2016