Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Post: Reddit Facebook
Can I insert a non-SSD drive in place of SSD in a laptop?
Hello Friends,
I need help deciding if I can replace existing SSD (120GB) with a non-SSD (1TB) drive in laptop.

Laptop model is below
Hp Elitebook 840 G2 14" Notebook - Intel Core I5 I5-5300u Dual-Core (2 Core) 2.30 Ghz - 8 Gb Ddr3l Sdram Ram - 128 Gb Ssd - 16:9 Display - Gigabit Ethernet - 4 X Total Usb Ports - 4 X Usb 3.0 Ports - Network (Rj-45) - Headphone/Microphone Combo Port M2f64up#aba

http://www.compsource.com/pn/M2F64UPABA/Hewlett-Packard-Hp-195/Elitebook-840-G2-Notebook-Pc-M2f64upaba/

I have never worked with any SSD and hence am completely illiterate on what and how SSD works and connects to Motherboard. Sick :huh: :( Confused

As 120GB is too less for me, I want to get a bigger hard disk. However, a 1TB SSD is way too costly for me to even think about buying. Therefore, I thought if I could replace it with a non-SSD drive.

I have attached folloowing documents for someone to have a check and suggest me. Smile
HP EliteBook 840 G2 Notebook PC -QuickSpecs
HP EliteBook 840 G2 Notebook PC Datasheet

Thanks, Grr

Attached Files
.pdf   HP EliteBook 840 G2 Notebook PC -QuickSpecs.pdf (Size: 502.53 KB / Downloads: 4)
.pdf   HP EliteBook 840 G2 Notebook PC Datasheet.pdf (Size: 430.76 KB / Downloads: 6)
Hi grr,

Sure you can replace it or add one. From the product specification I can see the notebook has M2 SSD drive (or at least a port to plug one). In case your currently installed 128GB SSD is on that M2 slot (M2 SSD is a board only, there's no enclosure) you can keep it and add an extra HDD next to it. So you can boot the OS from the fast SSD and use the extra HDD for data storage. That would be the best solution. I've found some info and descriptive images here:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/HP-EliteBoo...398.0.html

You can see the M2 SSD and the HDD on the bottom left side on this photo:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/fileadmin/_...fbb23e.jpg

From the HP EliteBook 840 G2 Notebook PC Datasheet that you provided on page 2, Internal Storage section you can also see that "320GB upto 1TB SATA (7200rpm)" is supported. 

Looks like a great notebook to me.

Good luck! Smile
Thanks Phobic.

I checked and noticed that the SSD is not in M2, the one that shows in 2nd White (from left top) in pic below.  :-/

The SSD is inserted in the bottom left slot.

I'll soon add a pic of the notebook.
Well, then you'll have to simply replace it win a HDD and sacrifice the speed of SSD's.

By the way in case you aren't planning to install a lot of software / games and you have enough space on the SSD an external HDD is another possible solution.
(12-18-2016 , 08:18 PM)phobic Wrote: Well, then you'll have to simply replace it win a HDD and sacrifice the speed of SSD's.

By the way in case you aren't planning to install a lot of software / games and you have enough space on the SSD an external HDD is another possible solution.

Attached are the pics.
Could you please have a look and confirm?
I'm planning to buy WD Blue 1TB Mobile Hard Disk Drive - 5400 RPM SATA 6 Gb/s 9.5 MM 2.5 Inch - WD10JPVX
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C9TEBJQ

Would I be able to use " WD Blue 1TB Mobile Hard Disk Drive - 5400 RPM SATA 6 Gb/s 9.5 MM 2.5 Inch - WD10JPVX" as-is?  Confused

[Image: EnuO225l.jpg]
[Image: vZc5p7kl.jpg]
[Image: vZc5p7kl.jpg]
Yes, you can use it. According to the QuickSpecs you can use a 9.5mm drive.

As the schema shows you just have to remove the battery first, then unscrew the 4 screws, remove the SSD with the brackets/bay, separate the brackets/bay from the SSD.

Then put the new HDD in the brackets/bay, plug/attach it back in the laptop. Put the battery back in place. Smile
(12-19-2016 , 08:25 AM)phobic Wrote: Yes, you can use it. According to the QuickSpecs you can use a 9.5mm drive.

As the schema shows you just have to remove the battery first, then unscrew the 4 screws, remove the SSD with the brackets/bay, separate the brackets/bay from the SSD.

Then put the new HDD in the brackets/bay, plug/attach it back in the laptop. Put the battery back in place. Smile

Physically speaking... you can't install an SATA HDD or a replacement SSD without going through the keyboard side first. 

I don't how this can be done from the bottom side.